Babysitters CourseRed Cross
- This course teaches the necessary tools to be responsible babysitters while keeping children in their care safe and happy.
- First aid content covered: Check, Call, Care (includes phoning 911) , glove removal, recovery position, conscious choking (adult/child/baby/alone), illness, asthma (includes use of inhaler and spacer), anaphylaxis (includes use of EpiPen), poisoning, insect stings, wound care (i.e. minor cuts and scrapes, splinters, nosebleeds, bumps and bruises, life-threatening bleeding, burns), head, neck and back injuries, broken bones, seizures.
- Students are also taught compression only CPR for infants and children.
- Babysitter’s Interview Form and Checklist for student download.
- Other topics covered include how to prevent injuries, appropriate game and toy choices, how to find a babysitting job safely, how to care for children of different ages and developmental stages (infant, toddler, preschooler and schooled aged).
FAQs for the Babysitting Course:
Does my child need to bring anything?
Yes, students should bring a lunch and snacks. Some students like to have water bottle. All students are asked to remove their outdoor shoes before entering the classroom, if your child would like to bring slippers or indoor shoes they are welcome to do so. Children do not need to bring dolls or teddies to the course, all course supplies are provided (including pens).
Do I need to stay with my child for the course?
No you are not required to stay with your child during the course.
Is my child allowed to walk to Dairy Queen for lunch?
Yes, if you give them permission to leave the building they can walk to Dairy Queen for lunch. This permission is given on the registration form. This can also allow a child to walk home from the course. Without this filled out we will not allow the child to leave the building without a parent.
Can I pick my child up for lunch?
Absolutely! Just let us know in advance so the instructor can break in time for your arrival. Lunch is 30 minutes.
8:15am to 4:30pm
Successful candidates will receive a manual & participation certificate
- Must be at least 11 years of age.
- This course is designed for ages 11-15.
- Complete the agency registration forms prior to course commencement. The forms must be completed entirely.
- Provide a parent or guardian signature.